Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Help a Girl Out, Put Up Your Shoes!

I am nothing if not organized. Which is strange because I am pretty ADD as well, so I guess that disorganized part of ADD skipped me. The bad part of being an organized ADD person is that I cannot focus on anything else unless everything is in it's rightful place.

I have a shoe rack in the garage right next to the door. This is for dirty shoes. I have a shoe bin in the mudroom for the clean-ish shoes to be placed so that we know where they are when we need them and we don't have to keep running to the closet to get the shoes we've been wearing today. Ideally, this would be for 1 pair of shoes per person because this should be for the shoes we are wearing today, not the shoes we have worn for the past week. It has become a shoe collection bin. A couple of times a week I load up each kid with several pairs of shoes and ask them to put them in their closets. Each time I remind them of the 1 pair of shoes per person idea. Each time they respond with, "OOOHHHH", as if they have never heard this before and think it's a strange concept. It's mind boggling.

The outside shoe rack is a similar but more complicated arrangement. Ideally, this is a place for cleats, gardening shoes, a pair of flips you put on just to go outside, rain boots, Wellington's and most of Clay's work shoes.

Here is the problem.

Rarely, does a shoe make it to the rack unless I put it there. Rarely. I am thinking of putting a shoe basket right smack in front of the door and see if anyone will attempt to put their shoes in the basket since that's where they leave their shoes anyway. We would, of course, have to step over the basket coming in and out of the house and if it was big enough to house these many shoes it would be a burden for most of us to step over, especially Sophie. And since she is the main culpret it might be a good consequence... Maybe then she would respect the shoe rack.

No comments: