Friday, October 23, 2009

Drop Off, Pick Up, Look Sharp

I have come to a place where I am not as vain as I used to be. Well, I may be the same amount of vain, but not at 7:55 a.m.!

There is a large group of women at my kid's school who look fabulous at drop off and pick up. I have never seen any of them looking like they just woke up and spent the last hour harassing small children only to kick them out of the car and yell, "I love you (despite my yelling and harsh attitude this morning)!" Their Hair is done, make-up on, clothes IRONED! They even have jewelry on (RH). They look great!

Since Landry started Kindergarten, I have been one of these people. Rarely have I been seen at school looking less than fresh and ready to go. I usually spend my 45 minutes in the morning running around making sure I was ready for the whole day before I stepped out of the door. Now, 4 years later, I am done! I get up, feed the people, make sure they have all that they need, wash my face, moisturize, throw on yoga clothes, put my head in a hat and head to school.

No make-up, no hair done, not remotely ready for anything but going back home. I find this to be so relaxing. So much so that sometimes 3:00 rolls around and I am still in the same condition. I throw my hat back on and head out the door to pick up my kids. To my surprise, no one has said, "Dang, what happened to you?"

Until yesterday, when I stopped by the local grocery store before pick up. I had taken off my make-up because I seem to be having an allergic reaction to my new mascara. My eyes were red and my hair was in a pony tail. I thought, no big deal. No one cares.

Except the goofy guy at the grocery store who asked me, "Why are you crying? You look terrible."

Terrible.

Dang, now I have to get dressed to go to the grocery store!!! Better yet, I think I will just go to a different grocery store!

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Those grocery store people...yesterday, as Presley was screaming in the check-out lane, my wise, prudent, and I'm sure highly educated sacker said this to me: "Your baby must be spoiled. She's used to being held all the time. She must be an only child." I was wearing yoga pants, a sweatshirt, no make-up, and had not touched my hair since I ran a comb through it after my shower. The moral of the story: Take unruly children to the grocery store with you so that it takes the focus off of how terrible you look.
Or: Bring duct tape for the sacker's mouth.

Chrystal Sturm said...

Ahhhh ha ha ha! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, was that you at the grocery store? I didn't recognize you! ha ha ha!

-alyson

Louise Cunningham said...

Hahaha.. love it!